Seeking skilled workforce for administrative and professional work, the Imperial British East Africa company, which was running Kenya on behalf of the British Empire, encouraged Goans from India to come and settle in Kenya towards the end of the 19th century.
Many came to Kenya as businessmen, lawyers and doctors. One among them was Dr. Rosendo Ayres Ribeiro, the first private medical practitioner who came to Kenya in 1899. He was famous for visiting patients atop a zebra. The school he founded in Parklands still bears his name.
To serve the spiritual needs of the Parklands faithful, the foundation stones for St Francis Xavier Catholic Church was laid on 1st October 1933 by Bishop Heffernan and after much struggle was completed and dedicated on 16th August 1936.
The first resident Father in charge was Fr. Eugene Butler who built the present Father’s house in 1951.
For several decades the majority of the parishioners in the Parklands area and the most generous supporters of all church endeavors were the Goan community. They may be a dwindling presence today but their contribution remains an inspiration to unselfish giving.